Week 1 Photojournalism

 About me

Currently I am a freshman in college studying business. I took this class to improve my photography skills in a field that I don't have very much experience in yet; photojournalism! Prior to taking this class, my photography skills have been used in controlled settings like senior or couple photo sessions. I would like to chase new experiences that could someday turn into intriguing stories.

I, like many, am drawn to a good story. In grade school I would write my own fictional stories and poems about various different things. As I got older, I started to appreciate movies even more for their unique plots and themes. Fast forward into my freshman year of high school, I received my very first camera for Christmas. At first, my photos lacked depth and composition. Slowly but surely, I improved. A few years down the road, into my senior year of high school, I was taking pictures for couples. 

Opening my laptop to complete the final stages of the editing process, I realized something. Every photo is a snapshot of a moment. Looking at the photos gave me the same feeling that reading a good book or watching a movie did. I realized that each picture captured a moment shared between two people. Whether it be couples, sports,  or pedestrians on the side of the road; each photo tells a story.

Cellist plays live in church 
following the loosening of covid 
restrictions in Lebanon, OR (2021).


Goals for this class

I have three goals for this class.

First, I would like to brush up on my storytelling skills. How can my images better fit a written narrative?

Second, this class gets me out of my comfort zone. Inserting myself into unfamiliar scenes to get the right photo and asking strangers for their names and/or permission to use their photo does not come naturally to me.

Third, I would like to improve my communication skills. Communicating with teachers, editors, or event planners will be a good challenge for me.

Photos taken this week:

McDonald's worker prepares to drop fries in the fryer 
for some hungry customers.

McDonald's employees enjoy the calm 
before the storm. (11:00am, 
Friday afternoon).



The Spring sun summoned many people out of their houses
Thursday afternoon. This woman prepares to enter
her car after an eventful day at the dog park.

Comments

Popular Posts